When is the last time you had your chimney looked at on your house or business?

Roofs and chimneys must be maintained to keep your home cool, warm and safe. If any damage or leaks are noticed, preemptive steps must be taken to prevent this type of damage. One simple change that can be done is the replacement of your chimney cap. If it is damaged, this can lead to fires, disease, and other wanted situations in your home. Not only do they save you thousands of dollars in repair costs for your chimney, but they also can protect the health of you and your family.

Chimney caps are an inexpensive protective covering that fit on your chimney. They are usually made from stainless steel, copper, or galvanized metals and typically come with a mesh screen. This added protection helps to prevent a variety of problems which include, but are not limited to, sparks that reach the top of your chimney where they can possibly cause a fire and debris which can affect how your fireplace’s venting system functions. If blockages occur in the chimney it can lead to your house being filled with carbon monoxide; a very dangerous gas that can cause death.

Moisture from rain, sleet, and other elemental sources can cause metal chimney caps to rust and mason caps to deteriorate. This causes further damage when it begins to affect your chimney liner, and this is quite an expensive problem to fix. A damaged liner or cap will allow moisture into your home that can cause the fireplace to stink like an old damp cellar and create a breeding ground for spores. It also makes a harmful caustic acid when it mixes with the soot.

Uncapped chimneys offer an open invitation to unwanted critters and birds. They can build their homes in your flue during the warm months causing blockages, as well as attract mites who are drawn to the waste of the animals. However, most homeowners don’t notice until the winter when problems in their flue become apparent. If you are lucky, the critters may move when things get too hot but, alternatively, they can also die from the gases. When this happens, the smell from the decaying corpses will turn your house into an odoriferous nightmare.

When you need your roof inspected, whether it be for your business or your home, and you’re not sure what to do… Give us a call Don Schmidt Roofing would love to earn your trust and help you with your central Florida home/commercial roof repair or installation. Call us at 407.892.9884 today or contact us online at www.DonSchmidtRoofing.com. We are a local family owned business serving central Florida since 1988 and an Osceola county resident since 1959. Put your roofing project into the hands of a contractor you can trust.


Please fill our service request form completely so we can help you as soon as possible or send an email to jeff@donschmidtroofing.com.


Share This Post On

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *